Are You Getting Enough?
We hear it constantly; we know that eating more fruits and vegetables is important for good health. So why aren't we eating enough?
This September is Fruits & Veggies – More Matters Month.
Why does it matter?
Eating a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits can help you:
· Lower your risk for heart disease and some types of cancer
· Maintain or reach a healthy weight
· Keep your body strong and active
· They make you beautiful
Yes, it is true!
Eating more vegetables and fruits can also make you more attractive.
· Scientists say antioxidants are the key. Researchers found that skin pigments change significantly in people who increased their intake of produce.
· Substances thought to have the most dramatic impact are lycopene, which gives tomatoes their red color and watermelon its pink hue, and beta-carotene, which is found in carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, broccoli, kale, and spinach.
· Polyphenols, which help keep skin oxygenated and glowing are found in dark grapes, cherries, plums, blackberries, and blueberries.
· Antioxidants found in fruit and veggies bodyguard us against compounds that damage skin, like free radicals produced by stress, sun, pollution, cigarette smoke, and pesticides.
Tips to try!
· Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
· Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time, for quick, healthy snacking.
· Challenge yourself and family to try a new veggie or fruit every week.
Remember, eating more fruits and veggies can be fun – and it’s worth it!