Your Mind on Media
Why is the media so influential? Asked on Quora.
April 4th, 2015.
Answer by Tamra Coveau:
There are numerous mass media theories that have attempted to explain why the media has influence, to what degree the media influences, and who is the most vulnerable to influence. I will not attempt to regurgitate my college major, but here are a few facts.
1. The medium by which we receive and interact with media influences the way media affects us.
2. The media chooses which information it wants us to be exposed to and sets the stage for future information.
3. Media is everywhere and repetition of information makes it seem true.
4. The very young have trouble distinguishing between real life and games/advertisement/fantasy.
5. We are ALL susceptible to media influence and manipulation, so it is wise to remember to always critically examine media in all forms.